Friday, November 21, 2008

Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow...

Just take a look at what we woke up to this morning...
You know what that means...NO SCHOOL! Its our first snow day of the school year! I don't know who is more excited, my students or me. I know, some of you are thinking, no school? For just that much snow? I teach in a rural, mountainous area where the roads of the hollows are very slippery when covered by snow and may not melt off for days, even when the main roads are clear and dry. Its just too dangerous for the buses. My brother in Detroit used to laugh when I'd get out of school on days like this and say that our district would cancel school when we got a heavy frost. In our district's defense, there are actually several other school systems that cancelled school today. That's how it is in the mountains.
The problem with this snow is that it makes it so much harder not to drag out my Christmas stuff (I am determined, though, to wait until the day after Thanksgiving). I've been enjoying the Christmas decorations that I've been seeing on several blogs. I'm loving The Nester's gorgeous garland, and Susie's tree is beautiful! I've definitely been inspired!


3 comments:

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Yippee for snow days! I love them! I don't know if I could have held out against the Christmas decorating bug...I am impressed!
Carrie

Cynthia said...

Okay, I will confess that I really did think "What snow?" when I saw that so I was laughing when you then mentioned it in your post. We had a 'snow day' like that once when I was living in Portland, Oregon. Best communting day I ever had- eveyone stayed home over 1/2 inch of snow!

Still, it sounds like it is enough to put areas that don't get a lot of snow out of commission.

Unknown said...

Nothing better than sleeping in on a snow day!