Tuesday, July 29, 2008
Thursday, July 24, 2008
Monday, July 21, 2008
I found the plate at a yard sale (I sorta wish I 'd gotten the matching, bigger plate to go with it), and the urn at Vendor's Mall.
This compote dish also came from Vendor's Mall.
I'm excited about next weekend. Its the once-a-month antique sale downtown. Maybe I'll find some treasures there!
Saturday, July 19, 2008
Six unimportant things about me:
1. I am the head carpenter in our house. Whenever something has to be built or assembled, I am the one in charge.
2. I hate swimming in lakes. There's just something utterly repulsive about getting into water that has fish swimming around in it. If I were to get nibbled by something, I'd probably totally freak out!
3. My dream car would be a truck just like John Boy Walton's, except that it would be retro-fit with an automatic transmission and air conditioning. If I couldn't have a John Boy truck, I'd drive a Chevy Nomad.
4. I always touch my husband's foot with mine when we go to bed at night.
5. When I'm nervous I wiggle my toes really fast.
6. I'd rather buy things for my house than to buy clothes for me.
Okay-you've been tagged!
Friday, July 18, 2008
This cup and saucer was a gift from my cousin Lori. She got it on a trip she took with her mom (my aunt JoAnn) and my mom when they went to New York a few years ago to visit our other aunt, Frances. Everyone came back with a set and she brought me this one. It reminds me of another one of my favorite patterns, Old Country Roses by Royal Daulton. So when I started noticing plates on the walls of bedrooms on some of my favorite blogs (Nester, Shannon at Bless Our Nest), the wheels started turning. This would look great in my master bedroom, the one with the toile. All I had to do was find some solid white dishes (or some I could paint, a la Kimba). I took off to my newest favorite store, Goodwill. I'm fortunate to have two nearby, plus a couple other thrift stores as well. And after checking at two thrift stores and a Big Lots, here's what I got, all for the whopping price of $4.25:
That one is my favorite one. It was only 50 cents! They'll go up with a couple of larger plates that I already had. I do want a pretty tray for the center, but I haven't found one yet. I'm going yard sale-ing in the morning. Maybe I'll find one then.
The funny thing is, the plate hangers cost me more than the dishes did! I had Derek get them from the hardware store where he works, so we did get a discount. I could have gotten cheaper ones at the dollar store, but Derek's store has white hangers, so they won't show up as much. The only bad thing is that his store doesn't carry the white ones in stock; they had to be ordered, so I'll have to wait until the Tuesday truck comes in a few days. I'll post a picture as soon as I get them all up!
Monday, July 14, 2008
Tuesday, July 8, 2008
Anyone have any ideas about what to do about a boring, white door?