Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Backsplash...

For quite some time, I've been wanting to do something with my kitchen backsplash.  I thought about doing tile, but frankly, even with our DIY experience, I was reluctant to try it. We've tackled a lot of jobs, but never tile.  So I kept looking, and one day, I clicked a link and landed on a blog called  Thrifty Decor Chick (if you haven't checked it out, get thee over there!). Sarah was right in the midst of a kitchen remodel, and was putting beadboard on her backsplash. I instantly fell in love! I knew that was exactly what I'd been looking for!
After unsuccessfully attempting to do the backsplash with wood beadboard panels (and giving up quickly), I found the beadboard wallpaper that Rhoda over at Southern Hospitality raves about. I ordered a roll, and let me tell you, it is a dream! It looks just like real beadboard, and its paintable, too.
Here's a look at the before:

 First, I did a LOT of measuring for the moulding.
Then I got to paperin'. The wallpaper went up very easily.  The most important thing is to draw a plumb line where you begin and make sure periodically that the paper is still straight up and down. It is also quite thick, so it doesn't flop around or tear when you're putting it in place like other papers can do.  It took 24 hours to dry, then I painted it with Colonial White by Porter.

Next, I added trim all around the backsplash (I had painted it all the same color as the wallpaper). I attached it with Liquid Nails.
  

And here it is finished!




I just love it. And so does The Hubs. In fact, yesterday he said we should continue the beadboard through the dining area.  So I used what was left on the roll and got started. I only got a couple of wall sections done before the paper ran out, so I ordered more last night and hopefully I will get the rest of the room done next week.  Until I do, here's a peek of the section that is done:

If you're considering beadboard, I highly suggest the Graham Brown paintable beadboard wallpaper! Check out Rhoda's store for more info!

No comments: