Monday, July 18, 2011

Thrifty finds...

You know those days that you stop at the thrift store, hoping to find a diamond-in-the-rough treasure and instead walk out empty handed? Unfortunately that seems to happen most of the time for me. :(
However, a couple of weeks ago, I stopped in my Goodwill store and found not one, but two treasures-in-the-making!
The first I found was something that Miss M had just told me she wanted for her newly-redecorated room: a bulletin board. I'd been trying to figure how to do one, maybe with an old, big frame and some cork tiles. But laying there on the shelf at GW was one ready made. And a good deal at only $2.50. Its frame would have to be painted and the fabric replaced (or just removed), but much easier than making one!

So I picked up the bulletin board, which was enough to make my day, and walked over to the furniture. I have been looking for a chest to redo for Miss M's room (her's has a broken drawer), but instead found this:
 I was sure it would be perfect for the G-Man's room. Then I saw the price tag:
Then I KNEW it was coming home with me! I'd have to do some sanding and refinishing, but at that price, even if I messed it up worse and had to trash it I wasn't out much. 
I had to do quite a bit of sanding, and never did get the surface of the top completely smooth, but hey, its going in an almost 7-year-old's room, so its not going to stay pristine even if I could get it that way, right?
I decided to paint it the color of the top of the G-Man's bedroom walls, Rattan Palm by Porter. It got a couple of coats of Minwax Polycrylic
 and voila!


Perfect for a little guy and his Legos!


(*update on the bulletin board and Miss M's room redo coming soon!)

No comments: