Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A trip to Regency England...


When I opened the covers of The Girl in the Gatehouse by Julie Klassen, I was expecting to like it. After all, I had already read The Apothecary’s Daughter, and Klassen had quickly become one of my favorite writers. And after reading this novel, I can honestly say that I was not disappointed. As a lover of historical fiction, especially books set in Regency England, it took only a few paragraphs to be drawn totally in. In fact, I had a difficult time putting the book down!


The Girl in the Gatehouse opens as Miss Mariah Aubrey is leaving her family and her home after having caused her parents embarrassment. She soon arrives at the home of her aunt, and takes residence in the estate’s gatehouse, far from friends, family, and anyone who knows about her indiscretion . It is here that she hopes to hide from the rest of the world, and in doing so, hide from her shame and from whatever future she may have once had.

Although she believes she must bear her burden forever, she meets friends who show her that not only must she forgive herself, but she must accept the forgiveness of her Savior. Only then can her life begin again.



Bethany House Publishers provided me with a free copy of this book in exchange for my review.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you have a copy of this book to loan to a friend? I'd love to read it. Jill